A Goose roasted alive - from Magia Naturalis:

Discussion in 'Food & Wine' started by Disir, Jul 4, 2017.

1. Disir

Disir Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,440
    A Goose roasted alive. A little before our times, a Goose was wont to be brought to the table of the King of Arragon, that was roasted alive, as I have heard by old men of credit. And when I went to try it, my company were so hasty, that we ate him up before he was quite roasted. He was alive, and the upper part of him, on the outside, was excellent well roasted. The rule to do it is thus. Take a Duck, or a Goose, or some such lusty creature, but he Goose is best for this purpose. Pull all the Feathers from his body, leaving his head and his neck. Then make a fire round about him, not too narrow, lest the smoke choke him, or the fire should roast him too soon. Not too wide, lest he escape unroasted. Inside set everywhere little pots full of water, and put Salt and Meum to them. Let the Goose be smeared all over with Suet, and well Larded, that he may be the better meat, and roast the better. Put the fire about, but make not too much haste. When he begins to roast, he will walk about, and cannot get forth, for the fire stops him. When he is weary, he quenches his thirst by drinking the water, by cooling his heart, and the rest of his internal parts. The force of the Medicament loosens and cleans his belly, so that he grows empty. And when he his very hot, it roasts his inner parts. Continually moisten his head and heart with a Sponge. But when you see him run mad up and down, and to stumble (his heart then wants moisture), wherefore you take him away, and set him on the table to your guests, who will cry as you pull off his parts. And you shall eat him up before he is dead.

Porta, Giambattista della. Magia Naturalis. <http://members.tscnet.com/pages/omard1/jportac14.html> (June 9, 2001)

WARNING: To recreate this recipe would involve the cruel treatment of a living animal; please do not consider such an act.
    Incredible Foods, Solteties, and Entremets

I was looking at recipes and found this It's gross; here, you try it.

That's just insane

2. Luddly Neddite

Luddly Neddite Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +28,214
    Actually, its not much different from modern day treatment of livestock.

Love Emily Litella.
    Loved Gilda Radner.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2017
  3. Tipsycatlover

Tipsycatlover Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +41,629
    The American indian tribes roasted their victims alive. They would strip the victim naked and tie him or her to a tree leaving a short length so the victim could move about but not very far. Then in a circle, the indians would build a fire. Not close enough to catch the victim on fire. Keep it hot an roast the person alive. It would usually take two or more days to kill someone like that.

4. irosie91

irosie91 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,425
    for the record-------not kosher

5. deannalw

deannalw Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,952
    I'd eat my elbow before I'd do that shit to a living critter.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  6. deannalw

deannalw Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,952
    Cept for pedophiles

7. skye

skye Diamond Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +47,286

I agree with you ^^^

only a psychopath would do such a thing.

8. deannalw

deannalw Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,952
    You'd be surprised. There are some seemingly normal people that practice some utterly fucked up shit all to have a meal.
    But I go overboard the opposite way. I even think the practice of say... boiling lobsters alive is barbaric and repulsive. I'd not indulge.

9. JQPublic1

JQPublic1 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,962
    Be more specific...not all indians did that. And lest you forget, Americans were just as barbaric when the likes of Cotton Mather walked this land and sat in judgement of women accused of witchcraft...some of whom were burned alive while others were hanged.

In more recent times, Americans firebombed Japenese and German cities creating rings of fire that made escape by anyone within almost impossible. Men, women and children
    perished in horrible ways just because
    some crews in an American bomber thought it was fun. But the worst was yet to come for Japan. Some people are still suffering from the fallout of
    Big boy and Little Boy. If those who
    were vaporized could speak they might be thankful that they were spared the fate of many survivors who were exposed to radioactive fallout.

Now I 'll just sit back and watch the konservatives scream that I hate America for telling the truth

10. MaryL

MaryL Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,950
    Aren't lobsters boiled alive?