"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion..." EO instead, then.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Fort Fun Indiana, Dec 11, 2019.

?

Does this violate the Establishment Clause?

1. Yes

2. No

3. No, and all government-recognized religious groups should be protected in the same way

4. It may, but I would make an exception for the Jews, given the circumstances.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. fncceo

fncceo Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29,166
    I don't expect to change your mind on the subject. Antisemitism has always been an intractable position among its adherents.

My comments are intended for those with fewer preconceived ideas about the Jews.

2. Fort Fun Indiana

Fort Fun Indiana Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,846
    Sorry, those groups and their traits are not mentioned in the constitution. Would you like to address the topic?

3. Fort Fun Indiana

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,846
    But that is only a partial response. You have other points to address, specifically:

"Neither can pass laws which aid one religion, aid all religions, or prefer one religion over another."

4. Fort Fun Indiana

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,846
    False. There is no law the EO banned behavior defies. That is why the executive order happened. You're saying some silly things. Think this through a bit more.

5. Fort Fun Indiana

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,846
    Actually, your described behavior is clearly illegal. We already have laws against that. Would you like to address the topic?

6. Fort Fun Indiana

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,846
    Your climate science denial goes in the conspiracy theory section. Would you like to address the topic?

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. fncceo

fncceo Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29,166
    Where is the preference in this order? If I speak out against blacks being lynched, does that imply I'm supporting the lynching of whites? Or, is it addressing a specific issue that is affecting the black community and not the others.

This is a specific order addressing a specific problem, the open anti-Semitism being suffered by Jewish students in many cases with the approval of the universities they attend.

Universities, I might point out, are doing so in direct violation of federal laws with which they must comply to receive federal funds.

8. Fort Fun Indiana

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,846
    Neither your thread title or OP address the establishment clause, specifically. I am looking for thoughts on this, specifically.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Fort Fun Indiana

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,846
    Youre joking, right?

You can perform this behavior regarding Islam or Christianity, but not regarding Judaism.

This is simple and clear from the information presented in post #1

10. fncceo

fncceo Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29,166
    From the US Dept of Education, Office for Civil Rights website:

"The civil rights laws enforced by the U.S. Department of Education’s Office for Civil Rights (OCR) protect all students, regardless of religious identity, from discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, and age. None of the laws that OCR enforces expressly address religious discrimination. However, the law OCR enforces that prohibits schools, colleges, and universities from discriminating based on race, color, or national origin (Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964), protects students of any religion from discrimination, including harassment, based on a student’s actual or perceived:"

According to Title VI of the Civil rights act, universities that allow religious discrimination are in violation of the act and not eligible for Federal Funding.

This EO merely puts the law into immediate effect.