Homemade fast food...

Discussion in 'Food & Wine' started by koshergrl, Apr 30, 2019.

1. HaShev

HaShev Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,703
    Actually a comforting meal using slow cooker/pressure cooker stringed beef is when I make wide yolkless noodles and put some seasoned stringed beef with ketchup and Baby Rays barbeque sauce mixed in and top with colby cheddar blend grated cheese and bake it.
    The tang of the sauce and cheese and textures on the noodles just goes so well together.
    It also works well over rice that way.
    Of course with rice and cheese & stringed beef you are just a tortilla shell and salsa (or taco bell sauce packet) away from a beef burrito or fry it for beef chimichanga with a swipe of refried bean paste in the tortilla.
    You can even make a stringed beef with mayo hoagie like you would a philly steak hoagie. You can get a lot of various meals out of a roast or london broil in the slow cooker.

Forgot to say: The Ramen in the tray I sometimes add crunched peanuts like Thai style.

Last edited: May 10, 2019
  2. Crixus

Crixus Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,267

Shit on a shingle is always a good one as well as being a staple food among old school honkys. Mine works like this,

A piece of toast.

Bacon. I will cut some up and toss a hand full in the white gravy, as well as three whole slices on the toast.

Scramble eggs on top of the bacon, then the white gravy over the top of it all.

It will need salt and pepper for sure. This is the instant gravy I use,

FA80F068-BDE3-4F19-B49A-1ECA0D3B29A1.jpeg

3. HaShev

HaShev Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,703
    I used to live off of creamed chipped beef during my late night diner runs, but nobody makes good dried beef and even those are hard to find.
    The frozen creamed beef in boil bags kind is way to salty, and the dried beef in a jar I think by Hormel is to thin and not the right texture.
    Anyone have a recipe or the type of beef and preperation let me know. I'm guessing it's a dried corned beef hash. Never was able to replicate it, nor find it anywhere again.

4. Crixus

Crixus Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,267

If you can find a good deli you will have what you want. My ma always went to this polish deli in spring branch to get that type of meat. Shaved beef or something. But bacon makes a good sub if you can eat it. But the pioneer white gravy serves as a good base.

5. HaShev

HaShev Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,703
    Yeah that is a good gravy mix, thanks.
    I usually use
    soy milk cause it creams well with
    flour powder, some move over butter, then add a tiny pinch of powdered thyme and black pepper.

6. Erinwltr

Erinwltr Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,356
    My father calls that SOS, shit on a shingle. It is sooo good.

7. Ringel05

Ringel05 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +33,668
    SOS is typically made with chipped beef, quite salty (I don't like it), what I make is officially known as Creamed Beef.

8. Pilot1

Pilot1 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,202
    I haven't had SOS in many years. My Mother used to make it once in a while. I like it, but yes it is salty, heavy, and high in fat and calories, However, nothing wrong with it every once in a while, like anything else that isn't necessarily "good for you".

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Angelo

Angelo Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,515
    I love homemade pizza. Next to homemade pasta and meatballs, maybe my favorite food.
    Does anyone have suggestions on how to incorporate healthy flours in the dough( coconut, quinoa, almond, buckwheat etc )? I've tried a few variations like half and half mixed with regular flour for the elasticity ) ...Some turn out pretty good and others are too bready or cakey. And I've seen a recipe that uses Greek Yogurt instead of yeast and water that looks interesting.

10. Angelo

Angelo Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,515