Bull Ring OldLady: Can laws distinguish discrimination against PEOPLE unequally vs. Select SERVICES refused

Discussion in 'The Bull Ring' started by emilynghiem, Jun 6, 2019.

1. emilynghiem

emilynghiem Constitutionalist / Universalist Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,875
  2. emilynghiem

emilynghiem Constitutionalist / Universalist Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,875
    Here OldLady here's the case where the owner talked to both the mother and the daughter to have the "humiliating" effect of "discriminating" against them PERSONALLY:

The "Sweetcakes By Melissa" Dispute | Kaempf Law Firm

Given that the owners argued they had freedom of speech and religion rights to defend and express their beliefs, that same argument explains why protestors got them run out of business and shut down.

That seems like justice based on those principles. Both sides got their free speech, and both suffered severely from disapproval by the other.

When it comes to suing, I don't agree with the courts that only "church-related activities" have the right to choices and decisions based on their religious beliefs.

This is like saying only ESTABLISHED GROUPS have religious rights, not individuals.

How would LGBT advocates respond if individual community members didn't have rights to freedom of beliefs and expression UNLESS THEY WERE DECLARED A RELIGIOUS ENTITY?

Makes no sense. Govt should not be regulating religious beliefs, and this shows why!

U.S. Supreme Court tosses ruling against wedding cake bakers who rebuffed lesbians

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
  3. task0778

task0778 Gold Member Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,471
    About half of the 50 states have public accommodation (PA) laws regarding sexual orientation, all of the blue states plus a few red ones. These states have essentially subjugated an individual's freedom of religion and speech below that of LGBT anti-discrimination rights. I think it's a political attack against Christianity, anybody know if any of these lawsuits are against Muslims? Doubt it. The Left is in a full-blown war against Christianity, mostly because most Christians support the right. So, it may not be entirely a question of LGBT rights, but also another Left v Right battle.

As I said in Post #10, I don't know how the SCOTUS can rule in favor of one right over another, maybe it should be a state by state issue. Maybe all the SCOTUS can do is require the states to treat both rights impartially, although I think that's probably not likely. If a state wanted to, they could probably offer some kind of compromise where a Christian business could get a waiver based on religious grounds, and post that waiver prominently so customers know the establishment isn't a full-service PA. But, I don't think that's what they really want.

Sucks to be a Christian in those states. You create a business, build it up, and then some political hack forces you to make a decision: your business or your religious beliefs. It ain't like these liberal fuckwads can't get their cake or flowers or whatever from somebody else. These cases are deliberate confrontations, and they don't care who gets hurt. And if it's a Christian, then it's win-win.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
  4. Tijn Von Ingersleben

Tijn Von Ingersleben Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,991
    The biggest problem with civil rights legislation is that it removes the freedom of association.