Removing algebra as a requirement for non-STEM college majors.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RandomPoster, Jan 15, 2020.

1. RandomPoster

RandomPoster Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,145
    Drop algebra requirement for non-STEM majors, California community colleges chief says

There are a growing number of educational psychologists who are advocating that non-STEM students not be forced to take Algebra to get a college degree.

College-level algebra is probably the greatest barrier for students — particularly first-generation students, students of color — obtaining a credential,” he said. “If we know we’re disadvantaging large swaths of students who we need in the workforce, we have to question why. And is algebra really the only means we have to determine whether a student is going to be successful in their life?

I think there’s a growing body of evidence and advocates that say ‘no’ — that there are more relevant, just as rigorous, math pathways that we feel students should have the ability to take,” he said."

One question I have is this. If the alternate pathway is "just as rigorous", won't it be "just as" great of a barrier? I believe a better solution is to do a better job preparing students for Algebra before they take it.

• Funny and Agree!! Funny and Agree!! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Dont Taz Me Bro

Dont Taz Me Bro USMB Mod Staff Member Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +38,277
    No, I disagree with this. We actually do use Algebra in our everyday lives more than we realize. I've found myself using it here and there for home remodeling, personal finances, etc. I do agree that we should drop Algebra II, especially for high school students, unless they intend on going into the sciences, and replace it with more practical courses like economics, personal finance, etc.

• Agree Agree x 8
  3. WinterBorn

WinterBorn Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,482
    Next they will be dropping everything that does not strictly apply to the major.

Then you will have training, not education.

Leave the algebra in.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. OldLady

OldLady Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +44,160
    I couldn't understand Algebra to save my soul when I was a teenager. I finally got a 65 on my final--on my second year of taking it, so I could get my diploma--I'm pretty sure the teacher gave me extra points for spelling my name right.
    I made it 50 years without it, raised a kid, managed a household, graduated college, have been a professional for 20+ years. All without a clue how to do algebra.
    So why do we have to have it again?

5. OnePercenter

OnePercenter Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,961
    Examples please.

6. james bond

james bond Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,004
    Seems like two separate problems. Chancellor Eloy Ortiz Oakley is only talking about students of color (code for blacks and Hispanic students) who go to community college. Second, California will need 1.1 million more workers with bachelor’s degrees by 2030 — but that only 48% of the system’s students earned a certificate or associate degree or transferred to a four-year university within six years.

7. irosie91

irosie91 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,773
    algebra?

8. Andylusion

Andylusion Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,070
    But... isn't that the point? Why do you think people go to college? To just have information? Or to have something that prepares them from a job?

Do you think anyone anywhere, would pay for college, if it did not result in a job?

Perhaps that is the problem with education in general, and why students do not take it seriously, is because half the stuff they learn, they will never use, and quickly forget.... which defeats the entire point.

And I'm speaking from experience. I went to college, and I would say about 10% of what I learned in college, I still remember.

As for specifically algebra, I both think every student should know algebra, and that it should not be taught in college.

I believe that algebra is important and needed in life... but that this is a duty of the high school. High school is supposed to give you the necessary teaching that you need for every day life.

College is for the specific information you need to have a career.

But the point of college is training for a career. Why would we go to college, just to be "educated"? That makes no sense. Why pay money to learn things, that have no value in the real world?

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Andylusion

Andylusion Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,070
    What career did you go into?

10. james bond

james bond Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,004
    This is a good question. It's college level algebra which many students do not need unless they are STEM or going into sciences. I agree there.

Virtual Math Lab - College Algebra