Removing algebra as a requirement for non-STEM college majors.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RandomPoster, Jan 15, 2020.

1. RodISHI

RodISHI Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,348
    An 11th grade friend taught me as she went through her studies. She had such an easy way to explain it to me it made it easy. Sometimes its the teacher and the manner in how they are teaching any subject as to whether the student grasps it or not.

note: not that I recall any of it 50 years later.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Dick Foster

Dick Foster Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    The People's Republic of the Californicated
    Ratings:
    +4,508
    As an engineer I was constantly solving problems and utilizing logic to do so. You won't get very far on SWAG alone. Same thing with the business end.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. james bond

james bond Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,004
    You need to admit that you did not comprehend the old 2017 article correctly. OTOH, I figured out what my state was going to do and it was done in a matter of months.

Now, I was interested in the results and am disappointed in 2019. It was only an increase of 3% for those transferring to UC or state college systems, and less that 1% increase in 2-yr CC degree graduates. This puts the chancellor and the CC educators and admin on the hot seat.

What math classes are you talking about that college algebra was replaced with? Are students still able to choose college algebra? How are other students doing aside from those from poorer neighborhoods? I assume you are referring only to state of California.

They do have a larger target and have set 2022 as their target. I'm not in education, so have no idea how they can meet their target. Do you know?

4. Yarddog

Yarddog Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,208

electricians can use algebra for different wiring applications. I know thats true for electrical motors. There are specific algebraic formulas.

And you can use it in simple building like framing a house. determining things like load strength if you substitute different variables.

Just knowing some simple formulas can make life much much easier and save a lot of time. Just like simply knowing some right angle Trig can help as well in building and machining

5. Yarddog

Yarddog Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,208

I could not get algebra at all in HS. though my home life was a real mess and i didnt do so well in school, I attribute it to my Algebra teacher who was British, and boring as hell, was terrible at explaining things. years later at age 40 i taught myself algebra straight out of a book up to algebra 2.... it was a college book that had the answers in the back , so i was able to figure it out. I felt quite amazed by how easy it seemed the second time around, and after learning it, i believe its a great mental exercise. It would be wrong to take this away from students when the U.S. is already falling behind all the other countries in the world in math

6. ReinyDays

ReinyDays VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +698
    What is this "college algebra" you speak of ... algebra is a high school class ... I understand colleges will teach algebra, but it's not a college class per se ... entry level college math is calculus ... two years of it for hard core STEM fields ... and the student absolutely has to be competent in all four years of high school math to start calculus ...

7. NewsVine_Mariyam

NewsVine_Mariyam Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,255
    Who says it doesn't?

8. Yarddog

Yarddog Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,208

As long as Nancy is teaching Algebra,

I'm still all in...

9. OldLady

OldLady Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +44,160
    I'm not disappointed in how big my house is or how new my car is. I've got a great son and granddaughter and teaching people to read and write and helping them pass their GED maybe helped them get ahead. When I did Child Protective, I got a few kids out of bad/dangerous situations, and maybe that helped in the long run.
    So I feel like I've contributed. I don't know why being an engineer or surveyor is superior to the fields I have been in.

10. candycorn

candycorn Alis volat propriis

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25,070
    dumb idea