Settlements only "illegal" for Jews

Discussion in 'Israel and Palestine' started by Shusha, Jan 15, 2020.

1. Shusha

Shusha Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,017
    Hypocritical attacks on Israel are common, but Sarah Leah Whitson takes them to a new level. As Middle East and North Africa director of Human Rights Watch, she is one of the sharpest critics of the Jewish state’s presence in the West Bank, promoting boycotts and international prosecution for the supposed crimes of occupation and settlement. Yet elsewhere Ms. Whitson strongly supports settlements in occupied territories—suggesting that she and her colleagues don’t take their own legal claims against Israel seriously.

The settlements Ms. Whitson supports are in Nagorno-Karabakh, an area that was within the borders of post-Soviet Azerbaijan until 1994, when Armenia occupied the region after a protracted war. Since then, the Armenian leadership in Yerevan has actively encouraged the movement of settlers into the area.

Ms. Whitson, who is from an Armenian family, served as master of ceremonies at a 2018 fundraiser for the Armenian National Committee of America, a pro-settler charity that views Karabakh as an “integral part of the Armenian homeland.”

Source: A Selective Opponent of Settlers

The is only one of MANY examples where a double standard of "illegal settlements" is applied only to Israel.

Is this not a violation of GCIV 49 concerning the transfer of settlers to occupied territory? Why or why not? Also feel free to address Cyprus, Western Sahara, East Timor and other examples.

If you can prove that there is an objective standard here and Israel is not being singled out -- go for it. Otherwise? You are participating in a special standard for Israel.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. ForeverYoung436

ForeverYoung436 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,067
    I don't think they're "illegal" because I consider the West Bank to be disputed territory, rather than "occupied". But it also depends on what Israel's endgame is, and whether they serve the purpose of peace.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Dogmaphobe

Dogmaphobe Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,217
    Ah, that good, old Judenrein.

It's as popular a notion now as it was in 1940.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. ForeverYoung436

ForeverYoung436 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,067
    Yes, exactly...but not only that. It's the height of irony that Jews these days are allowed to live in NY or Paris or Sydney, but not in Hebron or Bethlehem or Shechem--where Judaism was first born, and which is the land of Judea.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Coyote

Coyote Varmint Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +40,417
    If settlements in AREA C are legal they should "legal" for all Israelis and not just Jews to initiate, get permits for and receive infrastructure support. A lot of inequality there.

I know of no other country with a similar policy.

6. Shusha

Shusha Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,017
    Your premise is in error, as Israel has no such policy but...

Of course you do. You just won't admit it.

Start with 'Palestine', where it is illegal to sell property to Jews.

Or consider Iran, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Saudi Arabia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen. (Did you know that I am forbidden to visit those countries? I'm a Canadian citizen. I'm an American citizen. But because I've been to Israel I am forbidden to travel to those countries. That is if they knew about it, such as if I had a visa stamped in my passport. Israel stopped stamping visas and instead give out separate little cards for exactly this reason.)

And that is before we even actually get into the conversation in the OP.

7. Shusha

Shusha Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,017
    To correct your error here, ALL Israeli citizens, by law, are treated equally. No records on ethnic or religious background are collected or kept in the building application process, as it is illegal to ask these questions.

8. Shusha

Shusha Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,017
    Coyote

So, the Armenians are actively moving Armenian settlers into another State's territory. (Actual other State, not a wanna-be State).

Don't you think its hypocritical of highly visible people working with HRW to encourage this while condemning Israel? Why is it that one law applies to Israel but not to Armenia? Or Morocco? Or Turkey? Russia? There are a few others, but those are the main ones.

9. Augustine_

Augustine_ VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,650
    Settlements are just another piece in the mountain of evidence that the last thing Israelis want is peace.

10. Shusha

Shusha Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,017
    Right?! I mean the NERVE of Jews to think that they will be permitted to live near Arabs. Surely, they must know that trying to live near Arabs is an act of war. And that Jews deserve to be killed if they try to live near Arabs.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1