The 2020 Election: Is Common Sense Making a Comeback?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Foxfyre, Jul 6, 2019.

?

Who gets your vote in 2020?

1. Any Democrat candidate who wins the nomination

2. A Democrat if he/she is a common sense candidate

3. President Trump the Republican

4. President Trump who has earned a second term

5. President Trump the common sense candidate

6. Any Republican who wins the nomination

7. Any Republican who is a common sense candidate

8. Somebody else

9. I won't vote

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Foxfyre

Foxfyre Eternal optimist Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23,855
    Robert Curry raised an interesting question in this short essay this week.
    https://amgreatness.com/2019/07/03/is-common-sense-making-a-comeback/

He observed the glaring lack of common sense in the Democrat debates with Julian Castro advocating abortion rights for transgender women taking the top prize for the proposal demonstrating the least common sense. But as he sadly but accurately pointed out, whoever wins the Democrat nomination is unlikely to do so by promoting a common sense agenda, goals, objectives etc. (Personal note: common sense Democrats are being booed off stages almost everywhere.)

That is a sad commentary on our current political environment though probably many Democrats will not agree with it. But for conservatives, Curry is just stating the obvious and preaching to the choir.

The more interesting point he raised is that President Trump was/is clearly the common sense candidate. I concur with that. He isn't partisan. He is no ideologue. He can't be described as a conservative, libertarian, or right winger. But his vision, his goals, his objectives are all solidly rooted in common sense. What the problem actually is. What needs to happen to solve it.

But the question is, did America elect him mostly because he offered common sense that we were hungry for? Or did people vote mostly against what they saw as blatant obviousness of Clinton dishonesty and corruption mixed with lack of vision and promoting an unacceptable status quo?

If the vote was more against Hillary than for Trump, what will that bode for the 2020 election? Is there sufficient appreciation for what the President has accomplished to earn him sufficient votes to win next year? Or has America lost it to the point that they will vote for irrationality instead of common sense?

So where are you at this point?

Will you vote for President Trump because he is the Republican? Or because he is the common sense candidate? Or will you vote against him because he is Donald J. Trump? Or will you vote against him because he is on the Republican ticket? Or will you vote for any Democrat to prevent a Republican win? Or will you vote for somebody else for reasons not enumerated here?

Please explain your vote.

(Multiple choice on the poll and you can change your vote if you change your mind.)

• Thank You! x 6
    • Funny x 2
    • Informative x 2
    • Funny and Agree!! x 1
    • Winner x 1
  2. jwoodie

jwoodie Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,209
    It is shocking that Trump did not win in a landslide. Apparently, the American people have a very high tolerance for corruption and political correctness.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  3. Mac1958

Mac1958 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +47,852
    Common sense, like "Truth", is in the eye of the beholder.

Since we no longer communicate, we can all just make up our definitions as we go and claim the high ground.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    • Funny and Agree!! Funny and Agree!! x 1
  4. Odium

Odium Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +24,623
    Democrat candidate IF it is Tulsi Gabbard if not then Patrick Little who I will write in. If I can't write him in Georgia I will look at Constitution Party candidate or not vote.

5. Crepitus

Crepitus Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13,232
    If you think tRump is the "common sense candidate" you might need to look up the definition of "common sense".

• Funny and Agree!! Funny and Agree!! x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Ambivalent1

Ambivalent1 BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,574
    Not one of your 20 plus candidates has any common sense. Rumpy will run rings around them all.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. BrokeLoser

BrokeLoser Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,220
    Yep, billionaires always lack common sense don’t they?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Funny and Agree!! Funny and Agree!! x 1
  8. Foxfyre

Foxfyre Eternal optimist Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23,855
    I know this will just get blown off and probably provoke attacks on me, but I am NOT asking anybody to agree with the OP, but simply to comment on why you will vote for who you think you'll vote for come November 2020. And why.

If we could not make this one more thread to insult each other and/or recite assigned partisan rhetoric and talking points and catch phrases, it would be really appreciated.

For me, President Trump IS the common sense candidate. He lays out common sense goals and objectives whether or not those are politically expedient. And he has done a tremendous job of accomplishing many of those goals and objectives so far in the short 2-1/2 years he has had to do that. And he has done it in the most hostile environment and against the most vicious opposition against a President that I have ever witnessed in my lifetime. (And my lifetime is probably considerably longer than most of yours.)

I didn't vote for him because he was proper or elegant or politically correct or shared my ideological perspective. I certainly did not vote for him as a paragon of virtue or role model for children and grandchildren. I see him as a flawed person but a decent person who has sinned as we all have, and also a person who happens to have great ability and a noble sense of purpose.

I voted for him because he offered a vision that I could believe in, and laid out specific objectives to accomplish that vision that I could mostly agree with. Yes he has had to abandon Plan A and go on to Plan B or C or D or whatever now and then. Yes he has had misspeaks and missteps along the way. Sometimes I think he makes the wrong choice. All Presidents do from time to time. But overall, his job performance scores very well in accomplishing what he said he intended to do.

And because of that, unless something significantly changes, I fully plan to vote for him again next year.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Thank You! Thank You! x 2
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
  9. task0778

task0778 Gold Member Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,558
    I think Trump won mostly as the anti-Washington establishment candidate. But a lot of people voted against the blatant obviousness of Clinton dishonesty and corruption rather than for him, cuz if I remember right more people disliked him than liked him. I do think that common sense did win over ideology in 2016, but I don't know that the same will be said for 2020. His persona is wearing kinda thin on a lot of people, but the Dems are not running a viable opposing candidate IMHO. Much of what the Dems want to do is nowhere near what might be called common sense, so hopefully the American voters won't do something really stupid and elect one of them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. candycorn

candycorn Alis volat propriis

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23,178
    Simple Question….

Is President Trump a liar?

• Agree Agree x 1