The Nuking of Nagasaki: Even More Immoral and Unnecessary than Hiroshima

Discussion in 'History' started by mikegriffith1, Aug 10, 2019.

1. elektra

elektra Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,946
    This comment comes from an, idiot, that quotes a source, let's say, McGeorge Bundy. Begins the OP with the quote. Then after hundreds of comments griffter1 calls his source a lousy liar? Which discredits there own source.

Then the griffter1 links to a "Scholar", who can not get the simple right, like the page number in the book he is supposedly using, this gross error repeatedly made? Griffter1 calls that scholarly work?

Now the griffter1 claims factories can be destroyed with conventional bombing. This shows the very deep ignorance and lack of understanding griffter1 has in regards to conventional bombs in WW II.

The Krupp factories in Germany were always quickly manufacturing after being bombed. Why is that. How is it thee most significant bombing of the war never prevented the Krupp factories from operating?

2. eagle1462010

eagle1462010 Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +26,987
    'Would I drop the atomic bomb again? Yes, I would'

You always knew people would be very seriously hurt'
    It would be wrong to hold Van Kirk, now 89, in any sense responsible for the extreme human suffering that the bomb caused. As Harry Truman, the president who ordered the dropping of the bomb, told Tibbets when they met in 1948: "I'm the guy who sent you. If anybody gives you a hard time about it, refer them to me."

"Nothing. It was just a trip to Japan, that's all."

I can't believe that, I say. Nagasaki had just been entirely flattened by a nuclear explosion.

"Yes, we saw a city that was completely levelled. All you saw was plain, flat, level ground."

That must have been a powerful sight, I say.

"There was not much difference between an atomic bomb and a conventional bomb. The difference was in the area that it covered."

Did he see the shadows of people who had been burned to dust on the walls and pavements?

"Yes, you saw that."

And wasn't that shocking?

"It was shocking as you wondered how the heat of that bomb had done something like that. But you were immune to it because they told you during your training that would happen."

Have you ever allowed yourself to read accounts of what it was like to be at the receiving end of the bomb?

"Yes."

And what was your reaction?

"An information reaction."

Did he ever wish he had never taken part in the Enola Gay's atomic mission?

"No, I was proud to be on the Enola Gay. The war ended on 14 August. I don't know when it would have ended if we had not dropped the atomic bombs."

Would you do it again?

"Under the same circumstances – and I realise you can never have them exactly again – yes, I would do it again."

3. eagle1462010

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +26,987
    [​IMG]

4. Unkotare

Unkotare Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +21,773

Have you read ANY of the other posts on this thread?

5. eagle1462010

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +26,987
    yes.......................but not all.

And it is an attempt to condemn the actions of a different mindset from a different generation ..........aka different era.

The decision was made based on the morality of the past not today.........as we attempt to judge the actions of that time based on our era's perception of that time..................

The Japanese were brutal..............they were creating biological and chemical weapons.........torturing and executing prisoners of War........Starving them to death...............In China they played a game of who can kill 100 with a sword........later tried and convicted of War Crimes for it.............and executed.............

They were executing POW's days after the nukes were dropped in Japan..............and I just put that information into the thread...................What I posted helped figure in why the dropped the bomb.............to end the War.........and stop the killing in the region.................

The decision to drop the bombs ended the War in a matter of days..................which was why they were dropped to begin with................Your shouting how evil it was doesn't change that conclusion..............nor the morality of how evil we were for doing so...........

My point stands...............end of equation.

6. Unkotare

Unkotare Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +21,773

Then go do your work before making an ass of yourself.

7. eagle1462010

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +26,987
    Who da fck are you to demand a dang thing from me................You may be a teacher but you sure as hell aren't mine..............

Your outrage over history is noted and discarded....................the decision was made and it ended the War quickly.............and I agree with it now just as many did back then.

This thread doesn't show the brutality of the Japanese during the War that helped cause the decision to be made............doesn't show the mass execution of prisoners at the end of the War.............the skeleton's of starved POW's at the end of the War now does it..............

Wars aren't MORAL.............they ARE THE SANCTIONED MURDER of each other when all discussion is over...................No reason to say it differently.........it's the way it is.

8. Unkotare

Unkotare Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +21,773

Many of America's military leaders of that generation, that era, that day saw the use of the atomic bombs on civilians of a defeated enemy as unnecessary and morally problematic.

9. Unkotare

Unkotare Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +21,773

In other words, you're happy being ignorant - you need to remain ignorant - because it allows you to wallow comfortably in your emotions. So much easier than thinking.

10. Unkotare

Unkotare Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +21,773

Make up your mind. Were the atomic bombs used to incinerate hundreds of thousands of civilians as an act of revenge, or in order to end the war?