The opioid crisis: A 20-year conspiracy against patients

Discussion in 'Healthcare/Insurance/Govt Healthcare' started by basquebromance, Sep 14, 2019.

1. basquebromance

basquebromance Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +24,625
    The opioid crisis: A 20-year conspiracy against patients

from the article:

"The opioid crisis is a manufactured (and profitable!) public health emergency that has killed more than 400,000 Americans since 2000. It’s the perfect storm of gross negligence of regulators, lawmakers, and law enforcement, coupled with predatory tactics of lobbyists, drug manufacturers, distributors, doctors, and management consulting firms. Drug companies pushed opioids as a non-addictive pain medication while simultaneously releasing a deluge of 76 billion oxycodone and hydrocodone pain pills from 2006 through 2012. This is demonstrated by the data in the Drug Enforcement Agency’s Automation of Reports and Consolidated Order System, known as ARCOS.

In small towns like Kermit, West Virginia, (population 392), one pharmacy received 5.7 million hydrocodone and oxycodone pills between 2005 and 2011 from McKesson, which shipped over 100 million pills into the state during that time. McKesson settled in May for $37 million, a fraction of the estimated $8.8 billion annual cost of the opioid crisis in West Virginia.

Mallinckrodt flooded Florida (population 20 million) with 500 million oxycodone pills between 2008 and 2012. That’s enough pills to create an entire state of addicts. One Florida doctor, Barry Schultz prescribed a patient 23,000 pills over eight months — that's 100 pills a day."

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  2. TomParks

TomParks Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,852
    The Medication isn't the problem....people need to take responsibility for their actions.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. caddo kid

caddo kid BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,481
    Interesting conspiracy theory; the opioid crisis. 400K dead since 2000? Sounds pretty bad.

Why would someone take a pill just because they have access to it?

I don't like bananas so I don't eat them. I don't care for opioids either.

No one has ever over dosed on marijuana. Mary Jane is pretty safe; legalize it, roll it, toke it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. wamose

wamose Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,212
    I took a couple of those edibles out in Reno and all pain disappeared along with my ability to walk. I think that might be one good alternative for pain. But the deal is, many people start taking pain killers to get high, not for pain. So how do we stop this? I know there are scumbags who are pushing these things because they care more about money than people. But how can we make them stop? I think we need a combination of better early education for our kids and harsher penalties for those who deceive customers about the dangers or overprescribe these pills. The fact that these things got so far out of control is an indication that our politicians have little or no will to deal with the problem. Maybe drug companies do own our government.

5. Polishprince

Polishprince Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,998
    Exactly. Oxycodone, hydrocodone, and the various other opiates and opioids have been about for a long time and it isn't news that they can be abused. I knew kids who like taking percs at keggers back in the 70's.

But that doesn't mean they aren't useful either.

And this is the real problem IMHO. I see a number of firms withdrawing from the pain pill market, those who are left will be charging a lot more, due to the idea of blaming Perdue for the actions of the patients.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. petro

petro Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,854
    Profit!!!
    Exactly why they want weed to remain illegal. Lose their monopoly. The Pharma cartel wishes no competition.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. petro

petro Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,854
  8. Polishprince

Polishprince Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,998
    I think that's bull. The idea that grass is a panacea for all kinds of illness is b.s.

I'm sure that grass has some beneficial medicinal properties. But I don't think its a cure all.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Polishprince

Polishprince Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,998

I think the Red Chinese just want to make money, and China White, aka Fentanyl, is as good a way as any.

But I don't think they are ready to destroy America yet, they still want to sell us stuff.

10. petro

petro Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,854
    Never stated that.
    Basically pointing out they don't hold the patent. Therefore they couldn't exceed black market value.