Whaddaya Know

Discussion in 'General Global Topics' started by Unkotare, Jul 31, 2019.

1. Dekster

Dekster Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,003
    A Korean guy taught be a lot about pressure points in college. He works with kpop gigs now. I may one day forgive him for his sins against music, but not anytime soon.

2. night_son

night_son Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,548
    I have travelled extensively with the military since joining the Army in 1991. Prior to that, I went on several mission trips with the United Methodist Church as a teenager. One of those trips was to Jamaica. We went there to help build a Sunday school building in Montego Bay. While there our youth group stayed in a walled compound on top of a jungle covered mountain in a place called Reading, which is a few miles outside of the downtown. The family who hosted us for the duration was an awesome group of people who welcomed us in and made us feel safe and wanted. I'll never forget them, a black Jamaican family whose history on the island went back centuries. They even drove us to Reggae Sunsplash 1989. The entire experience broadened my young mind and exposed my then delicate impression of the realities of life outside America in ways reading about it never could. Montego Bay itself was a study in duality, with massive beach front hotels with rooms going for several thousand per week just blocks from shantytowns of horrible poverty. How did my time spent in Jamaica influence my outlook? It made me want to become a missionary and save the world, or at least make the world a better place for everyone.

Ironically, and even immediately after joining the Army, I still held that dream. And then I was deployed a few years later to an East African city, one that turned out to be uncannily like Montego Bay. The main difference? Even though the people there by and large lived in horrible poverty and near famine, the warlords who controlled the city seized every shipment of food flown in before world aid agencies could distribute it. That was when I realized no matter how well intentioned or full of faith, only a well equipped military force could ever truly help the peoples of the world without dying in the process. And so my dream changed. Instead of using the Army as a stepping stone toward becoming a missionary, I decided to stay in. My worldview hasn't changed to much. I still feel immense affection for peoples of all the cultures I've visited or long term shared a patch of earth with. However, I've also developed a deep, perhaps unfortunate firsthand realization of the depths of inhuman violence people of any culture can visit on each other and those who are different. Perhaps I'm much more jaded than my teenaged self. Personally, I'd call it honestly pessimistic, in a hopeful sort of way.

3. Rocko

Rocko Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,946
    I’ve been to quite a few places. Got to experience different museums, cuisines, landscapes, customs. I’ve had some different experiences and it’s always interesting to see how other people live outside the tristate area I’m accustomed to. I will say that these experiences were fun, but I don’t think they molded me in any particular way. My environment growing up and where I’ve lived the last twenty years I think has made me who I am. I don’t think culture can really rub off on you unless you’ve experienced it for an extended time.

4. Unkotare

Unkotare Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23,087

What counts as an extended time?

5. Tijn Von Ingersleben

Tijn Von Ingersleben Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,190
    Contrary to my posts on this site I have always been surrounded by many honest, awesome people of other races and cultures. They have given me love and so many good memories.
    Not all of my travels or interactions have been positive but the sum total have been truly special.
    I remember the Japanese man who helped me and my wife when we were lost in Tokyo. He told us where to go and paid for our tickets.
    I remember the Turkish people is Mercin who shared their food with us.
    I remember the Germans who gave me directions and bought me a beer.
    I remember the Cambodian taxi driver who spotted me drunk on the street and convinced me to get in his cab because I was in a dangerous part of Phnom Penh.

Lots of love out there.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Rocko

Rocko Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,946
    I’m not sure, but I think one would have to have lived in another place for awhile...maybe 6 months I guess.

7. iamwhatiseem

iamwhatiseem Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,832
    I was married to a Mexican for 27 years.
    How it influenced my thinking was two things...

1) How well we have it here. (But that is changing)
    2) How much better their culture is than ours, specifically how family oriented they are.

8. sparky

sparky Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,685

and i'd be a grand example

reclusive bluecollar redneck living out in dogpatch

i'll only get out feet first too

~S~