Who Cut The Cheese?

Discussion in 'Food & Wine' started by Billy_Kinetta, Apr 27, 2017.

1. Billy_Kinetta

Billy_Kinetta Paladin of the Lost Hour Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +52,398
    • Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Lucy Hamilton

Lucy Hamilton Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +48,116
    I'm not sure I want to read that article :omg:

Casu Marzu is a Sardinian cheese, it literally means rotten cheese, it starts out essentially as a typical Pecorino but is just allowed to ferment to the rotting process sets in.

There is a Corsican cheese that is almost identical to Casu Marzu called Casgiu Merzu it also contains live maggots and it's only available on Corsica and is not allowed to be sold ouside Corsica because of EU Laws on food hygiene and health regulations.

Anyhow Casu Marzu is all but banned under EU Law because of food hygiene and health regulations, although I suppose people buy this disgusting object on the black market.

I have just had some excellent Fourme de Montbrison which is from Auvergne and is beautifully mild for a blue cheese and crucially is sans maggots.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The worst cheese I've been confronted with myself is Trou du Cru it absolutely stinks, you can smell Trou du Cru from the room next door it stinks that much. It stinks and I did taste some, a very acquired taste sort of a straw like aftertaste, this because I was told that each little individual cheese is washed with Marc de Bourgogne which gives the cheese this strange straw type aftertaste.

Marc de Bourgogne is a Pomace brandy, but unlike most Pomace brandy it's aged and is very strong.

[​IMG]

Marc de Bourgogne also comes in this nice bottled spray to add to whatever food you might like adding a touch of it to.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is Trou du Cru, it's from the Bourgogne region.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Trou de Cru isn't big as you can see, each cheese comes in these small rounds.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Lucy Hamilton

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +48,116
    I should have added that with the Fourme de Montbrison I had a glass of Disznókő Tokaji Eszencia (2005), this is an excellent and exquisite Hungarian dessert wine, it's taste is a combination of caramel and vanilla, it's aged for at least three years in oak barrels, the grapes are Furmint and Zéta and both are unique to the Tokaj-Hegyalja wine region of Northeastern Hungary and Southeastern Slovakia.

Tokaji wines are in general a very famous wines with a very long and illustrious history, King Louis XIV referred to Tokaji as Vinum Regum, Rex Vinorum, Wine of Kings, King of Wines....Madame de Pompadour was also a great fan as was Bram Stoker and Pope Pius IV and Peter The Great and Franz Liszt and Franz Schubert among others.

I recommend Disznókő Tokaji Eszencia to anyone who likes nectar sweet dessert wines, I recommend any Disznókő Tokaji Eszencia from 1999 to 2005.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Indeependent

Indeependent Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19,878
    The butler.

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Lucy Hamilton

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +48,116
    My parents Head Butler darling isn't allowed to cut the cheese or cut anything, the last time he cut something he had to be taken to the hospital as the knife slipped, ever since he's never forgotten to wear his white gloves on all occasions.

This is good because we can't have the Head Butler wandering around half undressed :smoke:

[​IMG]

6. Mindful

Mindful Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +40,140
    A match made in heaven.

Port and Stilton.

[​IMG]

7. esthermoon

esthermoon Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,891
  8. Lulllaboo

Lulllaboo Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I love only one type of cheese - dor blu, no more cheese I eat.