Who makes the best chili here?

Discussion in 'Food & Wine' started by drifter, Sep 8, 2017.

1. gallantwarrior

gallantwarrior Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13,774
    Some of the people who might indulge themselves have problems eating spicy food. I like my chili pretty spicy, so when the "audience" is amenable, spicy is presented. Chili is also one of the dishes that improves with age. A couple of days infuses the spices and makes the chili tastier than a fresh batch. Do you prefer ground meat or shredded meat for your chili?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. usmbguest5318

usmbguest5318 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,778
    For better or worse, when I have guests for a meal, if they can't/won't eat what I'm eating, I'm fine with offering them alternative and equally delectable dishes, but I only cook things the way I like them prepared. To me, a major point of cooking for others is to share a bit of oneself with them. They can cook the dish their way when I eat at their place, or if they happen to be cooking at mine.

Occasionally, someone will ask that I add/do "such and such" to the dish, and I'll do that if they ask in time and I don't think their request will ruin the dish. The most common thing like that is folks asking for well done steaks or wanting mixed drinks with double the booze the recipe calls for. I'll do that because I can and I don't have to eat/drink the damn thing. I'll sometimes make omelettes or pancakes to-order too. The heat in my chili, however, is not one of the things I'm going to flex because someone can't take the heat. (My chili isn't "vindaloo" hot, thus requiring that one'll need a quart of milk to stop the burn, but it's hot enough that one knows one had a spicy dish.)

Oh, most certainly.

I prefer ground meat, but I don't have any compunction about using shredded if that's what on hand. Plenty of times, especially after holiday meals, I have leftover roasts and such -- part of leg of lamb, some beef, the remains of a sucking pig, etc. When that's the case, that meat, if it is the meat that ends up as my chili meat, is gonna be shredded. If the meat that's to go in my chili is raw when I start cooking, it'll be ground..

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Marion Morrison

Marion Morrison BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +51,328
    I forgot garlic powder or diced up garlic, doh!

4. BlackSand

BlackSand Nobody Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +16,119
    Pfft ... I live in Louisiana and ice cream can be spicy here.

I am guessing that anyone who knows their way around a kitchen is familiar with the things that make a dish 'spicy hot'.
    If you are looking a recipe and wonder whether it is going to be too spicy hot ... Then adjust or eliminate the spicy hot things you put in it.

For drifter ...

If you don't want the recipe I gave you to be spicy hot ... The jalapenos and cayenne pepper make it spicy hot.
    The Ro Tel tomatoes will make it a little hot ... But not a problem unless you are a complete wuss ... :p

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
  5. iamwhatiseem

iamwhatiseem Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13,858
    I make chili with chicken....yes chicken. I don't want anything t interfere with the sauce, and with chili - the sauce is everything.

1 lb. Chicken Tenders, sliced in 1/4" thin - 1" chunks. (YES chicken!!! Trust me)
    1 Spanish onion, diced
    1 red pepper diced
    1 can black beans
    4-5 Roma tomatoes diced and all of the juices
    1 clove garlic, that's right - garlic
    1 can tomato sauce
    2 T - chili powder
    1 T cumin
    1/2 teaspoon ginger....yes ginger
    Salt and Pepper to taste

Brown the chicken, take out of pot...sweat the onions till clear, then put in the garlic till starting to brown...add all ingredients and slow boil for 30-40 minutes.
    Everybody loves this chili. I have made it for many

P.S.> Depending on how acidic the tomatoes are - I sometimes put in a pinch or two of sugar at the end to lose the acidic "wang"

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Marion Morrison

Marion Morrison BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +51,328
    1 can of black beans?

Add a lil saffron rice and it's Arroz con Pollo.

7. gallantwarrior

gallantwarrior Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13,774
    I usually prepare meals the way I like, but I may accommodate other tastes when possible. When I make paella or zarzuela, I'll take out a portion with only the chicken before I add seafood because my buddy's GF won't eat seafood. No skin off my butt and it means more goodies for those of use whose pallets are not seized in juvenile tastes. Tonight, the GF is gone and it's my night to cook. We're having clams Alfredo! Woo-hoo!!! Mostly, I'll tone down the heat in my chili, we can always add heat later.

8. BlackSand

BlackSand Nobody Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +16,119
    This Friday teal season starts ... So that means fresh waterfowl.
    Although teal isn't that great in chili ... They make an awesome gumbo.

9. Abishai100

Abishai100 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +402
    I buy supermarket chili and then douse it with melted cheese to put on potato-roll bunned hot dogs.

10. usmbguest5318

usmbguest5318 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,778
    That aligns with my remark about "offering them alternative and equally delectable dishes."

Anecdote:
    A couple summers back, my youngest son and his buddy asked if I'd teach them how to prepare a few things. I agreed and met the two of them at the boy's home.

I'd decided beforehand that I'd teach them techniques more so that explicit recipes. One of the skills was caramelization, and onions were the vehicle for that skill because onions are tasty at a variety of cooking points along the way from sweating to caramelizing and they are a good foil for illustrating the differences of sauteing with or without a lid and those of adding additional ingredients -- meats or veggies -- along the way.

What we ended up with was caramelized onions that were used to make French onion soup, a stand-alone caramelized onion with bell pepper and bacon side, a sauteed onion garnish for the protein, and boiled onions added to a slowly simmered pot of turnip, collard, mustard greens, Swiss chard, and poke salad greens gathered from the boy's backyard.

The boy's father arrived home just as we were plating and remarked on how good everything smelled. , He had no idea the day was to be "culinary school" in his kitchen, and had come home expecting to prepare something to eat. was quite optimistic about the meal. Naturally, he sat down and joined us for dinner.

Well, it turns out he detests onions, at least when they're blatantly obvious as onions. LOL I felt somewhat chagrined, but only because as it wasn't my kitchen, and I had no license to just "take over" his cupboards and fridge and whip up an onion-free veggie dish of some sort, which is what I'd have done in my own kitchen. I offered to do so, but he was too kind to let me. He made do with the pork roast and risotto we'd prepared, and ate around the onions in the greens.​

• Winner Winner x 1