World Oil All Gone In 38 Years

Discussion in 'Energy' started by watchingfromafar, Jun 7, 2019.

?

Do you believe we should start doing something now?

Poll closed Jul 7, 2019.
  1. Yes

7 vote(s)
    28.0%
  2. No

10 vote(s)
    40.0%
  3. I could care less

10 vote(s)
    40.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. elektra

elektra Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,947
    What is more sustainable? You said you do now know? That means there is nothing more sustainable than Coal, Oil, and Nuclear power. You state we will need to switch? Switch to what, it seems you think there is something to switch to. So there is either nothing to switch to or there is something?

2. AzogtheDefiler

AzogtheDefiler The Pale Orc Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,774
    Fake News. But in 100 years. Possibly.

What happens when we run out of oil? - Macleans.ca

3. karpenter

karpenter Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,852
    Cir. 1979:

4. JoeMoma

JoeMoma Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,319
    You don't seem to have a clue what I was talking about.

My premise is that fossil fuel will not last forever. Not that we have to switch to something else right now. I do not believe the supply of fossil fuel in the Earth is infinite or that it is being replenished naturally at the rate we are using it.

Thus, some time in the future, whether that be in 50 years or 5000 years, either different sources of energy must be found or a more primitive form of living must be adopted, assuming the human race survives at current or greater populations. So to me, a sustainable source of energy is one that will not run out.

You brought up nuclear energy, perhaps that could be one of the alternative sources. Still, fissionable material is a limited resource.

Today, the technology we have would look like magic to someone who lived just a couple of hundred years ago. So the fact that I currently don't know what would be a sustainable alternative energy source does not mean that none will ever be developed.

5. elektra

elektra Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,947
    fair enough, I thought you were being evasive with your answer. I doubt we will find some new form of energy. It seems our understanding of things is as such, that we have discovered everything in regards to forms of energy.

Fissionable material? The earth is big, really big. We have been utilizing the easy stuff. The cream so to speak. There are many many areas of the earth in which we have not even begun to touch. Areas under the ocean. Chances are, we can go on forever provided we do not get side-tracked by the weak alternatives that consume huge amounts of our natural resources. We must be smart, not wasteful. Current policies have been wasteful.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Flopper

Flopper Gold Member Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,804
    His chart is in thousands of millions, (Venezuela 300,786 million) and yours is in billions (300.9 billion). Convert your figure to millions and it's nearly the same.
    The World’s Largest Oil Reserves By Country

7. beautress

beautress Platinum Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,559
    Deception has many faces. It relies on obfuscation, small print, and fear. All are present in the op. I'm not buying this particular panacea.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Flash

Flash Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +45,793
    Fossil fuels will last my lifetime and my children's so I don't give a shit. I suspect during the end of my grandchldren's life the reserves will start to run out.

The market will take care providing other form of energy. We sure as hell don't need the government taking our money and using it on some stupid Environmental Wacko project like wind or solar.

If the government is going to spend money it needs to be on something real like fusion. Of course the stupid Environmental Wackos put pressure on the government to shut down the world's best fusion test bed at the FFTF reactor at Hanford.

9. watchingfromafar

watchingfromafar Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +757
    What you are not mentioning is the decline in current oil fields. As new oil fields are found old ones dry up. Now put that into your predictions

Oil field production decline
    Individual oil wells are typically within multi-well oil fields. As with individual wells, the production curves for oil fields vary depending on geology and how they are developed and produced. Some fields have symmetric bell-shaped production profiles, but it is more common that the period of inclining production is briefer and steeper than the subsequent decline. More than half the production usually occurs after a field has reached a peak or plateau. Production profiles of many fields show distinct peaks, but for giant oil fields, it is more common for production to reach and maintain a plateau before declining. Once a field declines, it usually follows an exponential decline.

OIL WELLS DECLINE.jpg oil decline.png

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
  10. elektra

elektra Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,947
    Sad is your opinion. Yes, some oil fields have dried up. I am sure you could, if you put work into your posts, link to articles that appear to reinforce your opinion.

But, that is only if you ignore the oil fields that have not dried up and have been producing oil in three, separate, centuries! Yes, we have oil fields that are more productive now then they were in the late 1800's!

So, is it ignorance on your part? Stupidity? Are you simply a liar? Why would you post something that is so easily proven a lie. It took me about 60 seconds to respond to your incorrect opinion with fact that is indisputable.

History: Black gold drew people to Kern, Taft
    taft.jpg