Your Dream Car...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Missourian, Jul 8, 2012.

1. Godboy

Godboy Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,464
    John Mayer has the right idea here.

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. HenryBHough

HenryBHough Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +16,918
    Most fun of all the vehicles I've owned...

2002 Dodge Dakota 4-door with the small V8, 4-wheel drive. Perfect for where I lived at the time and how I used a vehicle. Saw it a couple of months ago - people I sold it to still using it and have kept it up. Rarity for where the live - most there just run vehicles into the ground.

Yes, all the markings were intentionally removed.
    mostfuntruck.jpg

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. petro

petro Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,106
    Love the SRT line. My son has a souped up Neon that he runs at the track. I believe he has the 4 cylinder tuned to 360hp.
    Seen a few Grand Cherokee SRT's. 711 Hp. Unreal in a SUV. Cant afford that upgrade. Chassis is still based on Mercedes ML design platform.
    My current ride...
    20180316_172757.jpg
    Damn thing is awesome in the snow. Glad I got the Hemi. My old 96 lasted forever. I expect the same of this one.

One tip for anyone with a SUV or extended cab pickup of any type. Dont run them cheap Cooper tires unless you like road noise howling like a werewolf.
    Spent on some good tires and complete silence.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Godboy

Godboy Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,464
    I think cars often times look even better when they are stripped of their markings.

5. Godboy

Godboy Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,464
    Thats a sweet ride! I owned a new Jeep Wrangler back in the day. What a fun car to ride around in.

6. Godboy

Godboy Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,464
    I havent seen many trucks in this thread. Im surprised no one mentioned the Velociraptor yet.

[​IMG]

...or if you really want to go balls out, the "Hennessy 6x6 Velociraptor" is the way to go.

[​IMG]

7. Checkerboard Strangler

Checkerboard Strangler BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +368
    The lightbulbs of antiquity ranged from 10 to 40 watts.
    The particular bulb you mentioned, with the astounding lifespan, was a prototype, and was intentionally designed for low lumen output, and for the last 40 years it has been running on an even LOWER voltage to protect the filament and to promote more lifespan.

Once they started ramping up the output of a consumer incandescent light bulb above 75 watts, there was going to be a tradeoff of some kind. A 100 watt light bulb running on 110-120 volt AC house current consumes almost one ampere of current.

In terms of physical energy, that's almost one tenth of a horsepower.

But yes, it IS true that modern cheap consumer incandescent bulbs have a bit of planned obsolescence built into them but if you want longer life, you should purchase what's commonly known as "Rough Service" bulbs. The color temp is generally a little warmer because it is designed to run between 130 and 140 volts even though it's connected to 110-120 volts.
    That is one way they get the longer service life.

All of this is in reference to incandescent bulbs.

8. MikeK

MikeK Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,824
    I have dimmer switches on every light switch or lamp bulb in my home. Each switch cost an average of $12, which adds up to over $200 for all those switches -- but I very rarely, almost never, need to replace the incandescent bulbs I like so much but which are becoming more and more expensive.

Where I need about 40 or 60 watts illumination I use a 100 watt bulb dimmed down to exactly the lighting level I want. This reduces the voltage flowing across the filament and the bulbs never burn out. I haven't bought light bulbs in years.

9. Cellblock2429

Cellblock2429 Gold Member Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,799
    /——/ They make cars that last 50 years. I see them at car shows all the time and I’m not talking about restored cars. They are survivors. It’s called maintenance. But most Americans ignore their cars and drive them into the ground. Like airplanes built during WWII that are still flying, your car will last a lifetime if you maintain it. When is the last time you changed your transmission fluid? Flushed out the power steering and brake fluid? Antifreeze?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  10. ChrisL

ChrisL Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +56,031
    Cars they make nowadays will rot out long before 50 years go by. They are DESIGNED to break down after so many years so that you will invest in a new one.

• Funny Funny x 1