Your Dream Car...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Missourian, Jul 8, 2012.

1. ChrisL

ChrisL Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +56,033
    I take very good care of my car. It is on a regular maintenance schedule because I just finished paying it off last year and I want it to last because I don't want to get into yet MORE car payments.

Ever ask yourself why your car starts to break down right after your warranty expires? It's because they don't WANT you to drive the same car for 50 years. Then they won't make any $$ off of you. Same with the mechanics. That is why we will always have POS cars. Having an "unbreakable" car would put too many people out of business.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. Checkerboard Strangler

Checkerboard Strangler BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +368
    Why not just use dimmable LED's?
    Get the daylight color temp (5000K) type, then use a 2700K color gel (aka CTO) to warm it to something more akin to incandescent.
    You'll get the warm look you want, you'll be able to dim it, it will last for a decade or more and the electric costs will be trimmed to a fraction.

What’s the difference between using CTO gels and CTB gels? - Profoto

3. Checkerboard Strangler

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +368
    Sorry, but that is utter nonsense.
    Modern engines, for example, will now last twice as long as their older ancestors. There are cheap brands that aren't made well but a typical MoPar V6, for example, might rack up 500 thousand miles or more with proper maintenance.

Americans don't want cars that last 50 years, they want a new car every three years because they're obsessed with keeping up with the Joneses but US cars can last eons if cared for.
    Ever wonder why cab companies relied on Ford Crown Vics?
    I keep hearing the same nonsense year in and year out.

This old girl is still running after 287 thousand miles.
    It has NEVER had any major repairs done whatsoever.
    The only reason it's being retired is because wifey wants something more luxurious and pretty.

[​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. MikeK

MikeK Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,824
    Many thanks for the advice but I'm completely baffled by it. I don't know what CTO gels are, or DTB gels, "daylight color temp 5000k type, or 2700 color, or where to buy all that stuff. And does it actually replicate the same effect as ordinary incandescent light bulbs? Because I can't stand the LED bulbs I've tried.

5. ChrisL

ChrisL Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +56,033
    Well, I hope you are right. I don't want to have to pay more car payments if I don't have to. As long as my car doesn't look like crap and gets me to where I want to go and has working heat and radio, I am good with that.

6. Checkerboard Strangler

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +368
    That's why I posted the link. Just click the mofo and read all about it.
    LED's come in all shapes, sizes, color quality and quality levels.
    They cost more than regular bulbs and you get you pay for but they last forever, or almost.
    And they cut your energy bill WAY DOWN.
    If you make the investment, you're done...for almost five, seven or even ten years.
    And yes, a proper LED will give you the kind of light you want.
    I'm semi-retired now but I have shot film and video professionally for 35 years and LED is the best.

7. Cellblock2429

Cellblock2429 Gold Member Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,802
    /----/ The only reason they will rot out is because of poor maintenance. If you live near the ocean or in the snow belt where they use salt to melt road ice and snow you need to take your car through a car wash regularly to clean out the salt buildup.

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. ChrisL

ChrisL Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +56,033
    It doesn't matter. You could wash your car every day. That salt and sand finds it way into every nook and crevice. You would have to be VERY diligent, and not everyone has that kind of time. I have a tiny little rust spot on my driver's side door on the INSIDE on the bottom part where it is metal. My tail pipes really need to be replaced too. Those are starting to rust out.

9. ChrisL

ChrisL Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +56,033
    I noticed that right after my warranty expired, things started going wrong with the car. Not the first time I've noticed that either, of course. I'm like, oh great, my warranty expired 6 months ago and NOW something is going to happen to the stupid car?

10. Checkerboard Strangler

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +368
    Oh, now I think I get it...some people imagine that cars of the past were maintenance free and that today's cars should be.
    I have bad news.

NO CARS have EVER been maintenance free. There's no such thing.
    There's cars which are driven into the ground by people who never do any maintenance, then they bitch and moan about how lousy the cars are, and they get another one.
    In the old days we called these people "Chevy Impala/Nova owners" but today we call them "Honda Accord owners". The story, and the behavior of these types of people is the same however.

• Agree Agree x 1